Friday, February 19, 2010

Quid Pro Quo - "The Language of the Harasser"

Quid pro quo - (From the Latin meaning " something for something") It's a term usually used in legal circles. It indicates a more-or-less equal exchange or substitution of goods or services. English speakers often use this term to mean "a favor for a favor" and the phrases with almost identical meaning include: "what for what," "give and take," "tit for tat", "this for that", and "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Quid pro quo - In this address is used to speak to the "Compromised Language" of the "Harasser." You know 'em! They're the "Icky" bosses or co-workers who create the silent disparaging emotional atmosphere that says: You better be "REAL" nice to me or I'll make sure you lose your job (or I'll make sure your life is a living hell)! It's a legal term, with illegal implications. I ask our readers to tell us:
  • How do you keep yourself safe in these situations?
  • How do you keep your job without compromising your boundaries, and self-respect?
  • How do you deal with the "illegal", sneaky, unethical behaviors of a person who has more without than within their character?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS!

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment